Thursday, September 16, 2010

What Freedom Means to Me

Walking across that stage last spring at the Minnesota Zoo was one of the coolest experiences of my life.  My dense fact is a high school diploma.  As an object, it is merely a piece of paper that declares that you, like so many other students, went to high school and deserve to graduate.  But in today's highly competetive job market, a high school diploma is crucial.  Going to college, travelling, working, and volunteering will help me be successful, however I decide to define that word.  I believe that the pay-off from service to other people will far out-weigh any paycheck.  When I read about people in other countries, especially girls who don't have access to education because of money or social restraints, I'm humbled.  It's a freedom that, at times, can feel like anything but freedom.  But it's the first step to getting to do what you've always dreamed of.

No comments:

Post a Comment