Monday, February 28, 2011

The Big Picture

At the end of class today we came up with some main points in de Tocqueville's book.  I'm glad we did, because I tend to get lost in all of the detail.  I've been working on reading a few pages or a section, then summarizing the ideas in my own words in my notebook.  Works for me, and here's what I have so far:


Universal sovereignty is important because it determines who has power and influence and who doesn't.  It means that the majority is made up of average people instead of bureaucrats and the elite.

The United States is incredibly civil in that protesting and discussing issues is much more common than fighting or going to extreme measures to get one's point across.

Every individual knows what is best for them, and a democracy is a way to get one's voice heard so government can help them take care of themselves.

Democracy goes beyond a system of government; it is one's engagement in the community, a sense of freedom and independence for both individuals and society at large.


These are just broad statements, but it helps to generalize at first to get my head around these ideas.

1 comment: