Friday, February 11, 2011

Informal Religion

Growing up I always thought that church meant the building I went to for an hour and a half every Sunday and sometimes during the week for special events.  As I got older I realized that though the physical structure is necessary for safety, comfort, and organization, it is not necessary for people to have a "church".  Now I believe that a church is its people.

During the beginning of the Second Great Awakening, religion was proclaimed, spread, and talked about on a person to person basis.  Evangelical leaders like Charles Finney went from community to community, sharing what they knew and believed about God and how people should act.  There was a lack of physical structure and heirarchy.  This personal approach made people really get into these revivals and the religious movement as a whole.  It was about one's personal relationship with God, not the relationship with the preacher or the church.  I really admire this awakening and I still see its effects today.

No comments:

Post a Comment