Monday, April 18, 2011

Effective Presentations

After looking at the board where we made a list of things to do to make a good presentation, I know I have some things to work on. 

1.  Slow down.  Whenever I'm nervous or excited, I tend to speak faster and it can be hard to understand everything I'm saying.
2.  Use transitions.  While I really like details and the little touches, it helps to use clear transitions so the audience knows I'm going from topic or idea to another.
3.  Use visual aids effectively.  Using a Google Doc is a really easy way for my group to all contribute to the visual and personalize it.
4.  Make the presentation interesting.  We might do a series of interviews, since a straight-up series of small talks is easy to understand but can also be bland.
5.  Practice!  I know I always feel so much more comfortable having taken time to practice individually and with the group.  Also, timing is important to make sure we're in the time limit of 15 to 20 minutes.

1 comment: