Monday, April 11, 2011

Thoreau and Independence

Thoreau talks about independence in both "Where I Lived, What I Lived For" and in "Economy".  While it's admirable to not have to rely on others, I think a lot can be gained from social interaction.

Being independent means not relying on other people or things to make you safe or happy.  He says "a man in rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone".  I definitely agree.  Coming to college has made me realize how I really don't need the extra luxuries and comforts I enjoyed at home.  While they are nice to have, I appreciate them even more while being without them.  Independence is also about living deliberately, without worrying what other people think of you, and not getting caught up in trivial things.  You have to respect yourself and be your own master, but not your own slave driver who pushes too hard for perfection.

Being independent doesn't mean you have to completely distance yourself from people.  After all, Thoreau would sometimes visit friends during his time in his cabin, and after 2.5 years he went back to life in the city.  He wrote a book and gained some profit from it.  I don't think Thoreau is arguing that we all go and build cabins and be self-sufficient.  Instead, I think of this study abroad/sabbatical as an illustration of how independence can practiced.  He didn't particularly enjoy city life, probably because of the luxury.  Still, being around others and being able to communicate and form relationships is really healthy.  If you really do care about nature, then networking with other like-minded people can help you to protect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment