Friday, March 11, 2011

Multitasking!

I am a terrible multi-tasker, yet I still do it.  Why do we focus our attention to multiple things at a time and how does that affect our productivity and social capital?  There are pros and cons to multitasking, and I think that there are situations where it really helps me get things done.  Thanks to the Oxford Learning Blog for breaking down some of these ideas:

http://www.oxfordlearning.com/letstalk/2008/07/25/multitask-or-not/


Multitasking can really help us in college as well as in life in general.  It's easy to switch your focus from one easy, simple task to another, like cleaning your dorm room to finding upbeat, motivating music to listen to.  Practicing this can help us cope when life is crazy busy and there are a lot of interruptions and distractions from what we really want to focus on.  Technology can really help us be more efficient and resourceful, but only if we limit Facebook and YouTube time per day.  Since it's not Interim anymore, we have to juggle several classes at once and work on getting everything done without the luxury of spending every day on one class.

Of course there are the dreaded pitfalls our parents warn us about.  It's hard to switch focus between more complex tasks like studying for chemistry and writing a research paper.  Too many distractions can be frustrating and nothing gets done.  As much as I'd love to watch Dr. Who with my friend next door, it's just not going to happen if I have to study lots of Sanskrit words for my theology test.  Often times my multitasking is really just procrastination since it looks like I'm getting a lot done, when in reality I'm just shifting my focus a lot.

Multitasking or not, social capital can be developed in many different ways.  At dinner it's great to get a break and not think about homework.  But I also enjoy doing homework with my friends because it's motivating and I can get help when I need it.  I guess it's always safe to have everything in moderation, even moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment